Monday, April 16, 2007

First site

Since 1996, I've been living, breathing, strategizing and leading the development of websites. Commerce sites, lead generation sites, ad campaign sites, microsites, massive sites, corporate sites, pro bono sites. Sites for doctors and patients; for flyers and drivers; for buyers and sellers; for architects and entrepreneurs. For virtually every type of client and constituency but myself.

So, now, it's my turn. I have developed for myself, in less than 60 minutes, a solution that for others I've spent as long as 12 months on. And I've done it without any of the strategic navel-gazing, creative posturing, corporate angst or legal maneuvering that many of my clients and colleagues have endured (or insisted on). Of course, those efforts tended toward global-types of "solutions" and were in support of "world class"-types of brands, so often there was quite a bit of...something (ego, money, revenue) hanging in the balance. But for me, today, I launch into this effort with only my thoughts and experience to guide me, and a few opinions I've developed along the way.

So, you may wonder, opinions about what? Well, this blog is going to be about my experience of the transition from analog marketing on proprietary channels to digital marketing via the internet and related media. I hope that my experiences will be of some service to someone out there. I'd like to share not only the problems
with you (they are many, varied and endlessly entertaining), but the solutions that I've come across.

Who is this blog for? Probably not those global, world-class companies. If they are still suffering from the problems I'm talking about here, they better stop searching blogs for solutions. No, this is for the mid-size marketer who has trouble getting the kind of advice he or she needs to jump into this arena. I'm hoping that the conversation stimulated here will provide the thinking to make such a leap more comfortable.

I guess I'll start tomorrow.

No comments: